12/10/2010

In Search of Wisdom



 
Reverb10 – December 10 – Wisdom. 
Prompt: What was the wisest decision you made this year, and how did it play out?

I haven't a clue. It is the ridiculous things I’ve done that jump right to the front of my mind.  For example, tweeting that my constant view of exposed thong during the workday was making me rethink my fondness for Sisqo’s "Thong Song." How was I supposed to know that my non-tweeting, thong wearing boss was following my account anonymously? Lesson learned.

My wise decisions are harder to dial up. Perhaps this is because, as some Reverbers have already written, I am less accustomed to speaking of myself in complimentary tones. I’m happy to dial up dumb things I’ve done to make you laugh or to distract from an uncomfortable moment. I don’t think of my cranky twenty-nine year old self as wise. This question left me in front of the computer rubbing my temples for a while.

There have been times this year where I know without a doubt that I made the right decision. I walked out of that school for the last time. Dropping everything, I went to be with a friend when one of her nephews was life-flighted out of town. I waited to thank performers after concerts, writers after readings, and players after their games. I accepted a twitter pal’s invitation to dinner and began a new friendship. I walked out of the room when someone else’s child threw a Slinky at my head. I went into an art supply store and let myself buy some things that excited me. 

I will continue to rub my temples and ponder this prompt. At the end of 2011, I hope my list of sage decisions and lively parties will both flow more freely.




No comments:

Post a Comment